Palomar Astronomy Club
Regular Meeting Minutes
3/2/2017, 2:20pm, NS-117
Advisor: Prof. William Kardel
Chair: Karen Taylor (President)
Others In Attendance: Gabrielle Gregg (Vice-President), Anna Younce (Secretary), Cassandra Walls (Treasurer), Chase Covello, Steven Saldivar, Eli Fountain
Call to Order: 2:30pm (approx.) by Chair, Karen Taylor
- A club website has been created. Club information, Meeting Agendas, Meeting Minutes, and news will be posted there. Please subscribe to the site so you will get emails when new posts are made. That way everyone should be up to date on important club information/activities. Visit: PalomarAstroClub.wordpress.com
- Motion: Attendance will be taken at meetings and kept by the Club Secretary.
Result: Motion carried
- Discussion: Volunteers needed for Inter-Club Council (ICC) Meetings for the month of March. ICC Meetings are Fridays at 9:00am in SU-204
Result: Three of Five volunteer spots have been filled. Two more are needed. Contact Karen (email@example.com) if you are willing to volunteer. The current schedule is as follows:
March 03 – Karen
March 10 – Cassandra
March 17 – Chase
March 24 – NEEDED
March 31 – NEEDED
- Discussion: (raised by Karen) Those present expressed interest in seeking a relationship with the San Diego Astronomy Association and possibly requesting a reduced student and/or “group rate” for membership.
Result: Gabrielle will reach out to her contact at the SDAA and report back.
- Discussion: (raised by Karen) Those present expressed interest in having a “workshop” to learn about the use of telescopes, preferably within the next couple weeks. Prof. Kardel advised that this activity be done during the daytime to make learning easier.
Result: Prof. Kardel agreed to oversee/provide instruction on the operation of telescopes. Karen and Prof. Kardel will coordinate a date/time and notify the club when the event is planned.
- Discussion: (raised by Cassandra) Gauging interest in the possibility of a group road trip to Pacific Northwest to view total solar eclipse in August.
Result: Contact Cassandra (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested.
- Discussion: (raised by Karen) Are there any ideas for content/activities that can be added to future meetings?
Result: Those present expressed interest in the addition of member-led informal presentations and/or discussions of current events in scientific fields, especially those related to Astronomy. Discussion as to how this activity would be structured and/or organized was tabled.
Approval of minutes to be performed at next Regular Meeting on April 6, 2017.
Minutes prepared by Club Secretary, Anna Younce